Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Food from the garden

I have to confess I have neglected my garden for a while.  Of  course when you spend your days looking after other peoples garden this happens a lot, but more so in winter as being inside is just that much more appealing then toiling outside in the cold on your day off.  

So needless to say the vegies have been doing a sterling job growing on without any help. I have a few days off this week so I hope to give them all a little more love.  But check out this little beauty.

Damn stupidy slugs left their marks
You can imagine how excited I was to get into the kitchen straight away.  I am thinking dumplings...

Here is my version of Vegie Dumplings taken loosely on Vegetarian by Alice Hart

* Heat a splash of oil (I used rice bran oil) and then add 2 minced garlic and a chunk of ginger grated heat for a minute or so.

* Add half a cabbage shredded, 2 grated carrots, a handful of sliced mushrooms and a couple of spring onions sliced.  Stir for a few minutes so it is soft.



* Remove from the heat.

* Finally add a handful chopped coriander leaves, salt and pepper, a good splash of soy (which I didn't have much of so I used Manis sauce and Teriyaki sauces) and a sploosh of sesame oil.  Now I usually add a handful of chia seed to increase my omega 3 as I don't eat fish.

* So Then use a teaspoon and add to the dumpling skins wet the outside edge with water to seal them.


 * In a large frypan add a little oil and place those dumplings in and fry for a minute or 3.  I made up a quick cup of vegie stock (water is fine) and threw it and popped the lid of so they could steam.

* Serve with a quick fried rice and use a soy and black vinegar dipping sauce.


It was really tasty although I have to say I think I need to work on getting a better photo for the plate but i was too hungry at that point.

Now I just have to think about what i will do with the other half of the cabbage

1 comment: