Pages

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Zucchini love

The lovely Louise from gardenglut is growing zucchini. Well she has just moved home and while Mr Greenskin has survived the move, a little tired and crumpled but I think he will be fine.  She has come up with a challenge each Tuesday (yes I know it's Wednesday but I am always behind) all about the humble zucchini.  Now it could be photos of your own zuch or a recipe or perhaps even a poem (yes I made that up).

I have in the past tried to grow zucchini but I always have problems with powdery mildew and not wanting t spray I tend to pull them out.  So I opt for a recipe one that I have adapted from not quite Nigella's pie.  As I don't eat meat I thought what I could do is substitute cubes of zucchini, feta and asparagus then the egg.  Now this is usually where a photo should be but it seems the powers that be have deleted the photos from the camera to the computer, sigh.  They were really tasty and looked pretty nice.

A quick run down to making them....

* chop zucchini into cubes, fry with garlic, salt and a little chilli
* roll sliced bread flat and cut out a round to fit into a muffin tin. Butter the round on both sides and pop one into each muffin hole
* Now pop a little zucchini and crumbled feta then an egg and pop a spear of 2 of asparagus into each bread case.
* bake in the oven at around 180 for 20 or so minutes.

Sorry for the no photos perhaps I will do them again and post up some.  Checkout Louise's blog for more zucchini love



4 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, I am liking this!Kind of like a fritatta, nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is although it is a whole egg baked. I hoped e bread might be crunchy but perhaps I needed to cook them a little first before adding the rest of the ingredients. They were pretty nice

      Delete
  2. Interesting idea. I'm growing zucchini for the first time in a while this year. I stopped due to excess crops which I didn't know what to do with. I didn't try this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty good and great for lunch or a picnic

      Delete