Pages

Monday 14 January 2013

Zucchini Tuesday on Monday

As you know if you have been reading my blog for a little while that I have been posting about zucchini on Tuesday as a way to encourage more love as started by Louise. Now I also realise that it is Monday but I have plans for Tuesday.

Anyhoo this week I harvested quite a bit from the garden...

So zucchini and tomato were for dinner tonight and the chilli was used in a post from yesterday
I have been thinking about trying zucchini as pasta for a couple of weeks.  It is great if you are gluten free or if like us you consume quite a bit of wheat products. It is pretty quick and simple use as well.

Jen's zucchini as pasta

* Using my vegetable peeler I sliced the zucchini into ribbons or pasta strips.
* Made a basil pesto (another glut in the garden). Used, basil, garlic,salt and pepper, parmesan, olive oil and lemon juice


* Roast the tomatoes in the oven for half an hr with a bit of garlic oil and salt.
* Boiled the 'pasta strips' for a minute or 2.
* Drain and serve. Toss in a few tomatoes, a good dollop of pesto and a few shavings of parmesan cheese.

The results....  It was good but it kinda lacked a bit of flavour. I would try it again because it was so quick but perhaps I might serve it with a tomato based sauce rather with baby spinach, nuts and possibly a blob of ricotta. Or maybe even a creamy mushroom sauce. The posibilites are endless

2 comments:

  1. What a stunningly colourful harvest, I am so envious! I have only handfulls of chillies to pick at the moment. Just beautiful. Good idea the zucchini strips! Bummer the flavour was underwhelming, but I do like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing very well considering you just moved to the country a few short months ago. Mind you I am generally envious of everyone else's harvests. Give it a go a good pasta depends on it's sauce. The boys loved it maybe I am just fussy?

    ReplyDelete