Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

Big wind

I have been really slack. I have even had a number of subjects to write about but you know how it is when you are on holidays. The mind and body relaxes and anything that belongs to routine goes out the window. Needless to say the trip to Europe and the UK were fantastic, great weather, gorgeous friends, lots of laughs and beautiful scenery.

So after nearly 7 weeks it is a bit of a struggle to get back into work. The temperatures are getting warmer and the gardens are putting on growth sot things are starting to show signs of growth (yay).

Last Monday Sydney's North received 40 knot winds. While moving mulch I received a phone call from a neighbour telling me Diba was on her front doorstep. I knew he didn't like wind so I thought he was just in search of someone to protect him (not the bravest of dogs). She walked back with him to see how he escaped and found the top half of our liquidambar over the garden.

From the front door
From the street
We are grateful it only glanced the pergola, missed the roof (although we have been thinking about getting a new roof so insurance money would have been helpful) and missed the power lines. What it didn't miss was my Cercis 'Forest Pansy'

I think there is no coming back for the poor thing that has been growing for 5 years
So now the tree is condemned and needs to come down so I must get back out there and move all the shade loving plants as the front will be quite a different garden without the shade of the tree in summer. I guess I will have to go back to the drawing boards and re design. Hope the weather gods have been kind to you all.

2 comments:

  1. How scary! Glad to see that no one was hurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite grateful for that. The dog even managed to escape to the neighbours up the road, he is not the bravest of creatures

      Delete